Love the Dog, Hate the Poo.
- You and your pet can help protect our lakes. Take a bag with you on walks to pick up after your pet. Dispose of the waste in the toilet or trash.
- It’s the Law! Orlando City code and Orange County Ordinance require you to pick up after your pet. It’s a nuisance and leads to water pollution, no matter where you live.
- Water Pollution. Un-scooped poop washes into storm drains, which drain directly to local lakes and water bodies, harming human health, wildlife and the environment.
- Reduced Oxygen Levels. Decomposition of pet waste demands a high level of oxygen from water, reducing the amount of dissolved oxygen available to plants and animals – resulting in fish kills.
- Algae Blooms. Pet waste adds excess nutrients like those found in cow manure to lakes – resulting in algae blooms.
Other lake-friendly pet practices:
- Baths & Washing – Never let pet products or wash water run off into the street, gutter or storm drain. When possible, bathe your pet indoors or visit a professional groomer. Otherwise, wash your pet on the lawn or a permeable surface.
- Flea Control – Consider using oral or topical flea control products. Dispose of any unused products, like shampoos, sprays or collars at a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center. Call 407.836.6600.
For more information, visit the City of Orlando's "Stop the Poo-llution" site here